is based on two Dutch windmills.
The Lily Windmill is similar in size and appearance to the windmill "De Lelie" (translation: The Lily), which dates back to 1836 (see picture on right). This circular brick "ground-sail" mill is situated in a small Dutch village in the South West of Holland called Puttershoek, the birthplace of Pleun Hitzert. This mill is the only windmill in the village and was responsible for the supply of flour for all the citizens of Puttershoek and surrounding villages in years gone by. "De Lelie" is still in operation as a flour mill in a small way.
The second mill taken as an example for building The Lily is windmill "Landzigt" (see picture on left). This mill dates from 1857 and is situated in Zuid-Beijerland, a small village on the same island as Puttershoek. The old name for Zuid-Beijerland is "Den Hitsert". This is the place where the Hitzert family originates from. The miller at "Landzigt" is Maarten Hunink. Maarten is since 1975 active as the miller and has been a great source of knowledge for Pleun Hitzert. One of the early sails of "Landzigt", a "Pannevis" stock from around 1880, has been utilized as the tail- beam for The Lily.
While Pleun has been building the windmill mostly single handed he has received a lot of help and advise from Sjors Adriaens, a well know Dutch windmill builder and Rob Batenburg, windmill builder and responsible for the restoration of the windmills in Schiedam (The Netherlands).Without their help and advise the job of building a fully operational Dutch windmill would have been virtually impossible.
THE LILY DUTCH WINDMILL
ACCOMMODATION - RESTAURANT - WINES
STONE GROUND WHOLEMEAL SPELT FLOUR
9793 Chester Pass Road - Stirling Ranges (Borden 6338) - Western Australia.