D21 is the 2 ft 6 in (762mm) gauge Puffing Billy Railway's second non-steam locomotive, and the first one capable of running a reasonable sized train at a reasonable speed.

It is ex-Tasmanian Government Railways (TGR) V class No.12, built by the TGR Launceston Workshops in 1968 to a design of Vulcan-Drewry (England). It has a Gardner 8L3 204 hp 8 cylinder engine driving through a Vulcan-Sinclair fluid coupling and a 5 speed epicyclic gearbox.

The regauging from 3ft 6in (1067mm) to 2ft 6in (762mm) gauge was done at the Burnie workshops of the Emu Bay Railway. The rest of the conversion, including reducing the height of the cab, was done at the Emerald Carriage Workshops of the Puffing Billy Railway.

It ran its first test on 24 December 1986, then ran its first day in revenue service on 16 January 1987, which was a day of Total Fire Ban.

These pictures show the first train on that day. The loco still has remnants of its last Tasmanian livery, and is running without the panels covering the engine compartment.

On 13 March 1987 it was released to service painted green, and numbered D21.

 

 

Return to Gembrook Railway menu

 

 

 

Side view of D21 at Belgrave, 16 January 1987, on its first day in revenue service as a 2ft 6in gauge locomotive.

D21 shunts its train at Belgrave.

D21 at Belgrave.

D21 waiting to depart Belgraveon its first train.

On Bridge No.5 (Monbulk Creek bridge). (This was the fifth of ten bridges on the Upper Ferntree Gully - Gembrook railway when the line was built in 1900)

Another view on Bridge No.5.

Approaching Menzies Creek.

At Menzies Creek.

Inspecting the works.

Coming in to Emerald.

At Emerald.

On the return at Nobelius.


Return to Gembrook Railway menu

All photographs Copyright Frank Stamford who may be contacted by email at: frank.stamford@bigpond.com

Last updated: 2 April 2016