This is 2nd class four-wheel passenger coach No.B 209. It was built in 1873 by Skabo Jernbanevognfabrikk (Skabo Railway Wagon Factory) of Skøyen, near Oslo. It has three compartments, with the centre compartment being a saloon, having seats around the sides and a central table. At that time the majority of passengers in Norway travelled 3rd class, and 1st class was only provided on international trains to Sweden. As a result this carriage provides an example of the best accommodation available at that time on the Røros railway. The vehicle is very well built and finished, and closely follows English coach building practice of the time.
Close-up of one of the end compartments of 2nd class coach B 209. The vehicle is 7,850 mm long over couplings, weighs 5.2 tonnes, and seats 20 people. Only one coach of this type was built, and it was built for the King's coronation at Nidaros Cathedral, Trondheim.
View of the central saloon compartment of coach B 209. The coach has wooden frames. Not long after it was built the Norwegian Railways changed over to using iron frames.
Another view of coach B 209. The coach is fitted with coal briquette heaters. It was taken out of service in 1926 and given to the Railway Museum.
This is the Royal Coach used by the King on the Røros railway. It was built by Jackson & Sharp of Delaware, USA in 1877, and was 13,190mm long, with a weight of 9.8 tonnes.
The other end of the Royal Coach. This was Norway's first bogie passenger car, and was delivered just in time for the Røros railway opening ceremony. It was taken out of service in 1929 and given to the Railway Museum.
This is a four-wheel petrol railmotor of Cmb type 1 class, No.2664. It was built in 1930, with a Buda 100hp motor. Only one axle was powered. The length over couplings was 10,370mm, and it seated 30 passengers. The total weight was 10.4 tonnes. The maximum permitted speed was 55 km/h. Nineteen were built between 1927 and 1930. The last was taken out of service in 1956 when N.2664 was given to the Railway Museum. Note: The four wheel bogie under the bonnet is not part of the railmotor!
This 0-4-0T locomotive Loke came from the private Sulitjelmabanen (The Sulitjelma Railway). It was buit by Hannoversche Maschinebau of Germany in 1892, having their builder's number 2411. It was built to 750mm gauge, and rebuilt to 1067mm gauge in 1918. Loke was taken out of service in 1957 and given to the Railway Museum in 1962. Due to very low light levels it was difficult to photograph, and to get the best out of the picture I have converted it to black and white.
References and further information:
All photographs Copyright Frank Stamford, 2010, who may be contacted by email at: email@example.com
Last updated: 27 December 2010