Ole Bull's summer house on the island of Lysøen, as seen from the boat which takes seven minutes to cross from the mainland.
Ole Bull's summer house on Lysoen Island is an extraordinary building displaying influences of Moorish Granada in the decorations. It was built in 1873. Although Ole Bull promoted Norwegian folk music, the style of this house is not Norwegian. The architect was Conrad Frederik von der Lippe.
Close up of the carved timber work on the front entrance.
Part of the view from the front of the house.
Another view from the front of the house. The monument honours Sylvea Bull Curtis of Conneticut, USA — Ole Bull's grand daughter, who in 1973 donated the house and all of its contents to the Society for the Preservation of Norwegian Ancient Monuments.
The interior of the concert hall, the main room of the house.
The concert hall is dominated by ten carved wooden columns, and elaborately decorated carved wooden arches.
A close-up of some of the wooden columns. Unlike Troldhaugen, the timber features of this house are not subtle.
A corner of the concert hall.
A sideboard in the concert hall.
Ole Bull's bedroom is off the side of the concert hall.
A corner of another room off the side of the concert hall.
The walking tracks on Lysøen are superb, and provide wonderful views.
Along one of the many walking tracks.
A view from one of the walking tracks. The panorama at the top of this web page was taken from a look-out along one of the walking tracks.
Vegetation at the side of a walking track.
All photographs Copyright Frank Stamford, 2008, who may be contacted by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 29 December 2010