X-Assist was created to assist in the much loved but missing features of OS 9 in OSX.
X-Assist has a similar implementation.
X-Assist has no "limit".
X-Assist allows users to add any hierarchy into a "Shortcuts" submenu.
X-Assist supports Objective-C (NSBundle) plugins.
They are easy to write, and examples "SetVolume" and "MP3 Player"
plugins are provided in this distribution.
X-Assist brings back the OS9 windowing functionality and also allows you to toggle between modes.
Figure 1: Display of custom items to appear in X-Assist Shortcuts submenu.
This screenshot is a window from NetFinder browsing a local disk, not OSX's Finder.
Figure 2: X-Assist menu hierarchy.
But if you feel the need...Check out the following Shareware application which may also interest you:
NetFinder is a Finder-like browser for local files, and also FTP (See Figure 1 - its NetFinder).
It supports viewing remote servers and local files in a hierarchy, plus much more.
A fully functional installer can be downloaded from:
Some features of NetFinder:
- As Finder-like as you can imagine when browsing. (see Figure 1)
- resume FTP/HTTP
- Drag and Drop everywhere.
- Its Local File Browsing mode allows you to view, sort and change Label's too!
A screen shot of NetFinder can be seen here.
Try it and you will be hooked.
Peter Li [X-Assist Application] email
Ross Tulloch [MP3 Player Plugin] email
Tom Beckenham email
You can email any of us for suggestions.
v0.7 [4 Nov 2003]
- added preference to enable control-ESC hotkey for those who don't want the feature.
- added preference and hot key capability for classic applications to Hide Current (command-H).
- added preference and hot key capability for classic applications to Hide Others (command-option-H).
- added Traditional Chinese Localization - thanks Joe Wong
- fix a bug in 10.3 and when "Hide Application Name in Menu Bar by Default." is enabled, the menu would not appear to the far right.
- synced new changes for all Localized resources - these new items aren't localized.
v0.6 [27th Oct 2003]
- dug out the code from 2 years ago and updated it to the latest compiler.
- updated compatibility for OSX 10.3, appears to still work in 10.2.
- fixed a few long standing "small" memory leaks. <grin>
- included Italian Localization - thanks Simone Bettini
v0.5.1 [12th Nov 2001]
- updated for OSX 10.1 support. As a result some features may no longer work with 10.0.x
- integrated/updated a few more localizations (some incomplete), Japanese, German, French, Spanish
v0.5 [21st May 2001]
- added icon for Menu Resizer.
- added support for using Shift key to temporarily invert the current Windowing mode. (defaulted off).
- improved the display of Control Panel name (internal name and localized).
- integrated a few localizations (some incomplete), Japanese, German, French
- re-arranged preference pane and added two new prefs.
v0.4 [1st May 2001]
- added support for remembering recent applications.
- added ability to hide icons for everything but the Application Menu.
- added support for hiding other apps when switching - for those who asked for it.
- added Control-ESC hotkey to toggle on/off OS9 windowing mode.
- added more prefs.
- improved handling of "non-standard" filenames causing X-Assist to quit.
- adopted application icon. Thanks to Mike Meacham.
- updated SetVolume plugin to support setting Alert and System volume.
- fixed bug in SetVolume causing one channel to be set to Zero volume. Doh!
v0.3 [23rd April 2001]
- fixed a bug in the application menu causing icons to not draw properly.
- fixed cause of occasional sudden quiting of app.
- added "Control Panel" submenu to Shortcuts submenu for easy access to Prefs.
- added alias resolving of folders in the "X-Assist Items" folder. So you can now add an alias to the Applications folder.
- menu resizer now updates correctly. Sweet!!
- added more prefs.
v0.2 [19th April 2001]
- added support for showing the application menu on the right of the Clock.
- added current running process tickmark in application menu.
- added support for option-select new process to hide current process then switch.
- added Hide (app name), Hide Others and Show All - for all those that asked for it.
- added more preferences to configure the app:
v0.1 [Initial Release] 17th April 2001