Unyans Australyek Cowethasow Kernewek
Contact: Mr Chris Dunkerley (webmaster)
or 9876.2618 Fax)
Welcome! - this Page provides information on the Associations and links to other Cornish sites!
Association Web Pages
Cornish Association of Queensland Page:
Cornish Association of NSW Pages:
Cornish Association of Bendigo & District Pages:
Cornish Association of Western Australia Page:
Cornish Association of ACT Page: (Now closed - see NSW)
Cornish Association of South Australia Page:
Cornish Association of Victoria Inc. Pages:
Southern Sons of Cornwall (NSW Sth Coast)
About the Federation
The Federation was formed at a meeting in Castlemaine Victoria in 1986 following a suggestion made by 'Den Toll', the then Grand Bard of Cornwall, Mr Hugh Miners, at the Kernewek Lowender in Wallaroo (1985) that the three Cornish Groups in Australia at the Lowender should get together more formally. A friendly meeting in a motel room sealed the idea!
The Founding Associations were South Australia (formed in 1890), Sydney (now NSW (formed in 1975)), and Victoria (formed 1986). Since then some other very active Cornish Associations ie. Western Australia (formed 1974), Bendigo & District , and the Ballarat Branch of CAV also became members. AFCA helped setup the Australian Capital Territory (in 1988) and Queensland (in 1995).
The Cornish Association of Victoria Inc. withdrew active membership in June, 1996, and Queensland in 1998. However they ( like all Cornish Associations and Societies around the world ) keep active friendly and close links with cousin Associations! Indeed Cousin Jacks and Jennies around the world have a warm family bond.
In May 1997 a meeting in Port Hughes, South Australia determined a new form for the Federation:
1. ALL independent Cornish Associations in Australia would be eligible
2. Their President or other Representative would be part of the the Council.
3. The Council would appoint a coordinator to initiate or coordinate activities
The Council was to re-form and a national coordinator elected. Until then contact as above.
ALAS this has not yet eventuated and the Federation is actually in suspended animation at present. All funds have been re-imbursed to the Associations. This web page will be maintained until resolution occurs.
There are no Cornish Associations in Tasmania or the Northern Territory at this stage, but AFCA would welcome any contacts in these areas!
The Federation has worked on projects through, and because of the magnificent efforts of, each one of its member groups but has also been able to put forward a powerful united voice on some important issues for Cornwall!
The aims of the Federation when founded were:
1. To promote, encourage and coordinate the functions of Member Groups in their own objectives.
2. To encourage Australians, especially those of Cornish birth or descent to understand and cherish the Cornish heritage.
3. To assist and promote the preservation and study of the Cornish heritage in Australia ; family history research; the study and use of the Cornish language; the study of Cornish history, culture, arts, antiquities, and customs.
4. To encourage and provide a channel for interaction with appropriate groups in Cornwall and elsewhere.
5. To promote the establishment of Cornish groups in areas not already adequately covered by such groups.
6. To ease the integration into Australia of Cornish immigrants.
7. To promote fellowship and to foster goodwill among people interested in Cornwall and things Cornish.
8. To promote contacts between descendants of the Cornish pioneers and other
Cornish-Australians and their "cousins" in Cornwall and elsewhere.
The Member Cornish Associations and their contacts are:
The Cornish Association of South Australia Inc.
- Secretary Lilian James, 13 North Boulevard, Tea Tree Gully SA 5091(08) 8264.5837
The Cornish Association of New South Wales - Secretary, 21 Cliff Rd Epping, NSW 2121 (02) 9876.2893
The Cornish Association of Western Australia Inc.
- Secretary Wendy Thomas, 64 Wimbledon Street, Beckenham WA 6107 (08) 9458.5435 CAWA email
The Cornish Association of the Australian Capital Territory Inc.- Secretary PO Box 85 , Dickson ACT 2602
The Cornish Association of Queensland- The Gen. Secretary
Mike Huckins, Vice Pres. c/o 9 Tabor St. Westlake QLD 4074 (07) 3376.3883
The Cornish Association of Bendigo & District Inc.- email@example.com- Leanne Lloyd P.O. Box 121 Eaglehawk 3556
The Cornish Association of Victoria Inc.
.. Some links to Cornish sites on the Web and/or email - Click on either map ..
A highly recommended page for those interested in the Cornish in Australia is ...
.. Some pages to meet your interests:
Cornish Gig - An article in pdf format for Acrobat Reader 4.0. This is a test of use of this solution to delivering information to the public.
GET CORNISH PILOT GIGS ARTICLE
If you need Acrobat - download it here free..
[ A PASTY ] [ BARDS ] [ BENDIGO MINER ]
[ BYNG ]
[ CADIA ]
[ CHILDREN'S NAMES ]
[ COBAR ]
[ CORNISH-AUSTRALIANS ]
[ FAMILY HISTORY ]
[ FESTIVALS ] [ GENEALOGY ]
[ One HISTORY ]
[ Another HISTORY ]
[ KERNEWEK LOWENDER ]
[ LANGUAGE ] [ MOONTA ]
[ MEDIA ]
[ METHODISM - incl. CORNISH ]
[ MYTHS & LEGENDS ]
[ NEWS ]
[ OLD CORNWALL ] [ PICTURES ]
[ RECIPES 1]
[ RECIPES 2 ]
[ SONGS ]
[ STONES - ANCIENT ]
[ SURNAMES ]
[ SURNAME RESEARCH ]
[ 'TIS PUBS IN CORNWALL ]
[ The WESTERN MORNING NEWS ]
Authors Note: This page is being remodelled over a period of time to have an index with pages behind it (or world-wide links) covering a range of matters arising from the aims of the Federation and to provide the Australian public with further background information on Cornwall and the Cornish! Keep watching! (PS. The Federation does not take responsibility for the contents from time to time of any pages or any pages linked from our pages! Information is presented for your enjoyment but may contain matters about which we might debate!)
Please feel free to Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
| This page was established on 5th August 1996 | This revision was made at 25 March 2008 ||
[ © 1996 - 2006 - AFCA - Chris Dunkerley ] Kernow bys vyken! (ie. Cornwall for Ever!)
OzEmail is the largest Internet Service Provider in Australia