Some suggestions on how to have a happy family
Dont wait until you have enough money to have children (or more children) because otherwise youll never have any. Somehow, you will always get by.
Dont waste money on your children:
- Everything is relative. Treats are only treats if they are rare.
- A $10 toy can bring more fun than a $100 toy.
- Children have no concept of money.
Dont be discouraged about not having enough money. Trust God and put it in His hands.
How and when do you pray?
- Alone on a rock?
- In the morning?
- Together in bed?
- Together as a special time in the loungeroom?
What do you pray?
- Spiritual growth
- Try "7 minutes with God" (praise, confession, supplication, etc.)
Why is it hard to pray?
- Satan does not want us to pray.
How can we increase the amount of praying we do?
- Get into a routine.
- Do it spontaneously (dont give procrastination a chance).
As parents, we have a responsibility to be Godly, filled with the Spirit and to pray for our children.
How should we treat our children?
- Always be fair and just.
- Be firm. Dont compromise.
- Be moral in even the smallest thing.
- Be consistent.
- Have fun with your children.
- Spend time with your children.
- They only want you when theyre young.
- Work long hours at work all the time is inappropriate.
- Your children want you, not possessions.
Be proud of them. Acknowledge their achievements.
Dont pressure them to achieve. Teach them that everyone is good at different things and thats OK. Encouraging them is good, pressuring them is not.
Give them responsibilities
- Praise them for completing assigned tasks.
- Dont necessarily reward them for assigned tasks and responsibilities. Some things should be done as being part of the family.
Dont threaten them. (eg. If you dont do this then Ill do this, etc.)
Say what you mean.
Dont make fun of them or give them a hard time - treat them with respect.
Hug your children.
How to have Unity
Love your spouse. This is one of the best things you can do for your children.
- When your children see you hug your spouse it can mean a great deal to them.
Forgive each other!
- Never let a problem go unresolved.
- Never hold a grudge.
- Never hold past problems against anyone.
Be happy with your children
No one is perfect.
People get tired, hassled, etc. so make allowances.
Have special nights together.
- Video and popcorn on a Friday night.
- Go out for dinner.
No TV during dinner
- Instead, take an interest in your familys day.
There will be difficulties.
- At some point in time (or numerous times) your children will reject you. They may say they hate you and wish they were never born. This is normal - they will come back.
- Hand it over to God
- Pray to Jesus for help in resolving the problem - He loves you.
To finish with
What are you hoping for your children?
- A fulfilled life?
What do you hope for your children in respect to their relationship to you in the future?
- That they will love me.
- That they will share with me.
- That I will be proud of them.
- That they will respect me.
- That they will willingly spend time with me.
These are the same things that God wants in his relationship with us. Our relationship with our children is a shadow of what will come in terms of our relationship with God the Father.