The original reversing loop at Top Points terminated on a cliff top directly overlooking Ida Falls Gully. This famous postcard view of 1901 shows the result of a freight train which ran away while descending from Clarence to Top Points, narrowly avoiding a plunge into the valley below.
Longer reversing loops were provided at both Top and Bottom Points in 1908 to accommodate longer trains and increasing traffic. This view shows the current Top Points signal box, located on the extended Top Points reversing loop. The route of the original reversing loop overlooking Ida Falls Gully passes to the left of this view, behind the signal box.