In 1854 C F Newman purchased 68 acres within the Park and named it Water Gully, where he pioneered a nursery. At the height of it's operation the property covered 469 acres, with extensive glass and hot houses. By 1889, stock included 500,000 fruit trees, 100,000 orange trees, 100,000 vines, 300 varieties of orchids and 600 varieties of roses. A retail outlet established in rundle Street marketed produce to Australia and overseas. Newman was killed when he fell from his horse while returning from a council meeting in 1899. His family carried on the business until 1913, when two major storms caused extensive damage, from which the nursery never fully recovered. In 1925 F C Newman left Water Gully and commenced a new nursery at Tea Tree Gully which still operates today specialising in Camellias.
Newman's Nursery early 1900's
Photograph courtesy of Mortlock Library South Australiana Collection
Ruins of Newman's Nursery 2001