FRASER, CONSTABLE BENTON
[NOTE: name is pronounced 'Fray-zer' but everybody calls him 'Fray-sure' (as in the NBC sitcom Frasier.) People from the old days up in Canada tend to call him Ben. Ray calls him Fraser most of the time. Otherwise he calls him Benny. Ray has not called him Ben or Benton. MacKenzie King gave him the nickname of Bento.)]
- AGE: 34 as of the episode "The Blue Line" (1995); add one year for each subsequent year (35 for 1996, 36 for 1997).
- HEIGHT: Approximately 6 feet, just a tad shorter than Ray
- WEIGHT: Unknown, but fluctuates occasionally
- HAIR: Dark brown; short
- EYES: Blue
- YEARS ON FORCE (RCMP): 15 (as of Spring 1996)
- SUPERIOR: For the first year, it was Moffat, who got promoted. During his second year, it has been Inspector Margaret Thatcher, who at first disliked him, but now, um, loves him.
- Father (Robert Fraser), deceased -- murdered by best friend Gerard (reappears now and again as a ghost). Referred to as Fraser Sr.
- Mother (Caroline), deceased -- died when he was around six. Maiden name was Pinsent.
- Grandmother, deceased -- died of old age perhaps? was a librarian.
- Grandfather, presumed deceased of old age? was librarian, also tried his hand at raising chickens.
- Uncle Tiberius -- died wrapped in cabbage leaves (!).
- Uncle Purvis -- presumed deceased.
- No siblings.
- No wife or children.
- NOTE: Was raised from about six on by his grandparents.
- In the Pilot movie, Fraser said he had no family left.
- LOVE LIFE:
- Victoria Metcalf was the love of his life, but he turned her in for bank robbery; she came back into his life 8 years later to exact revenge. She escaped. (Script stated name was spelled without an 'e' at the end.)
- Currently is in love with his superior, Inspector Margaret (Meg) Thatcher. They have yet to truly admit to each other their feelings.
- Has attracted the feelings of Elaine, Francesca, Tammy Markles, Katherine Burns, Mackenzie King, to name a few!
Ray seems to be his only true friend in Chicago. Others have included Mark Smithbauer (from Inuvik), pro hockey player who was subsequently barred from hockey forever for accepting bribe to throw game; Sgt. Duncan 'Buck' Frobisher, Mountie and friend of Fraser Sr.
None mentioned, but is not Catholic (confirmed by DS staff member). He has sought solace with Father Behan(VS) and knew a Reverand as a child(OGM).
Raised in the Yukon and the Northwest Territories. Has lived in Inuvik, Alert, and Tuktoyaktuk.
- CURRENT ADDRESS:
221 West Racine, Apartment 3J, Chicago. It's in a bad section of town (Ray would refer to it as a slum). Pays monthly rent of around $375.
- Shot: in right arm with shotgun spray(P); in back by Ray(VS); in right thigh by MacFadden(BITH).
- Stabbed: in right thigh by Geiger(MH); sliced across hand by Jolly(VS).
- Knocked out: fell into mine shaft, hit on head with rock, then with plank (3 in a row) (RWOB); plane crash(NOR); drugged(DUEL); punched out by Gabe(RWOB).
- Beaten up: by baby seal killers(P&P); Zuko's thugs(TD).
- Scarred by: dead otter whacked into right shoulder(TD); scar on right jaw (said it was tempered glass, but not from TD)(LG); knife wound in thigh from Geiger stabbing him (MH/LG).
- Broken bones: Left femur twice (jumped off 57' cliff and ??)(LG).
- Other: Dehydration(NOR); subdural hematoma, perhaps(NOR); paralysis, temporary(NOR); blindness, temporary(NOR); possible hypothermia in Prince Rupert Sound(P); bitten on wrist by Dief(WB); various cuts and bruises after beating(TD); hit in head with wine bottle(BL); cut forehead in wheelchair accident(LG); hit across face with 2x4(BITH); fell off moving vehicle and developed amnesia(FB).
Wears red serge uniform most of time, followed by brown uniform. When in 'civvies', prefers blue plaid shirt, jeans, boots or sneakers. Likes to wear red longjohns to bed in winter; white t-shirt and starched(!) boxer shorts in hotter months.
- Seen using American Sign Language.
- Chinese -- knows Cantonese & Mandarin; forgotten almost all of the Fuchow and Amoy-Swatow he was taught as a child.
- French -- spoke it once; probably knows it as many RCMP officers are bilingual.
- Greek -- knows the meanings of words; may not be able to speak it though.
- Latin -- ditto
- Spanish -- ditto
- Tsimshian -- speaks this Native language, but admits he is rusty.
- The Canadian dictionary says that Mountie is spelled with a capital 'm'; it can be spelled with a small 'm', but the capitalized version is the preferred style. And unlike what CBS used in its first ads, it is not spelled 'Mounty.'
- Very well-mannered, polite. Holds doors open for people, etc.
- Has only sworn a few times when under great stress (i.e., confronting his father's killer) or when he had amnesia.
- Has no problem leading a spartan life, hence his barren apartment.
- Obeys the law; couldn't even steal Milk Duds(WIT). Very disciplined.
- Believes in a destiny of his own choosing.
- Was once fired by Thatcher for refusing to change his uniform; was reinstated.
- Once arrested for murder (Jolly) which Victoria committed; seems to have been cleared.
- Marksman (has patch on uniform sleeve); exacting aim when throwing knife or Stetson or even an egg!
- Can drive (let's forget WIT!). Does not own a car, probably never has. Got around with dogsled up North. Jeep at father's cabin probably belonged to his father.
- Modest (doesn't like aggressive female attention; doesn't like to hog glory even though Ray thought he was doing just that in RWOB).
- When he was 16, he ran away due to some incident involving a boomerang, a can of gas and a gold mine.
- Met Diefenbaker 212 miles NW of Whitehorse; found him as stray pup in abandoned mine and took him in.
- Unlike every other TV hero, he does not seem to know karate/kung fu. Instead, he battles the bad guys with plain old fashion fists and feet.
- Does not carry a gun; though has carried a knife in his boot (probably just below regulation size, too!).
- When he wears his Stetson (hat), he seems invulnerable, yet when he loses it, he gets into trouble (hence the nickname, the 'Stetson of Invulnerability').
- Appears to be ambidextrous in regards to task; as to writing, probably not.
- Will eat almost anything (he's not a vegetarian or anything like that, in other words). Seems to like french fries.
- Very, very knowledgeable about a wide variety of subjects; this drives Ray nuts sometimes.
- Knows semaphore.
- Doesn't drink or smoke.
- Mr. Mustasfi is a neighbor from whom Fraser borrows a lot of things, then fixes them, then returns then. Other neighbors have included Mrs. Garcia, Mrs. Krezjapalov, Mr. Brewer (hockey fan), Grace (nice deaf lady), Mrs. Pumputis (who accused Dief of eating her dog (WB)).
- Has habit of using windows and fire escapes instead of the front door. Very annoying to Ray.
- Believes in the old-fashioned idea of chivalry.
- Read LOTS of books as a child.
- Never seems to get dirty, even when going through sewers(PROM). Ray accused him of being Scotchguarded at birth.
- By his own admission, not a risk-taker (at least not in his personal life, but has no qualms about running around on rooftops in pursuit of criminals, or standing in front of speeding cars, etc.)
- Puts up a Christmas tree and gives Dief a gift each year.
Back to the Character Archive