This page contains a photograph which is one of several belonging to the photo gallery pages which are part of several pages relating to the invention of the world's first automatic totalizator in 1913 and Automatic Totalisators, the company founded to develop, manufacture and export these systems.
Another image, old Automatic Totalisators Machine Shop, Chalmers St factory
This Automatic Totalisators image is thought to be at the factory at Chalmers Street near Central Station in Sydney. As with the previous image in the gallery, this machinery seems heavier than the machines in the workshop in the first two images in the Early Factory Images section of the Photo Gallery. The machine drive, as with the previous machine shop images is via belts driven by pulleys in the ceiling, if not driven by a steam engine, a leftover from that era. The ladders mentioned previously appear here yet again, probably related to the need to attend to the drive pulleys on the ceiling. More after the image...
Click on the image to go back to the Photo Gallery
The photographers stamp on the photograph reads Exchange Studios 49 Pitt St. Sydney WARD & FARREN Proprietors.
This is the last of the photographs that are annotated with "N.B". Presumably this does not refer to Nota Benae, possibly someone's initials or a place. Whoever, wherever or whatever N.B. is, it seems to group these photos together, probably chronologically. The images in this and the previous three images in the photo gallery including the images of the carpenter's shop and the blacksmith's shop are probably in the same building.
Neville Mitchell, a long serving Automatic Totalisators manager, made the following observation of the belt drive system: The noise level was high with so much equipment rotating. The 100 mm wide leather drive belts flapped about making their contribution to the general noise level, they were all flat leather with overlapping joints that added to the shop noise.