This page contains a photograph which is one of several belonging to the photo gallery pages which are part of several pages relating to the invention of the world's first automatic totalizator in 1913 and Automatic Totalisators, the company founded to develop, manufacture and export these systems.
An old Automatic Totalisators Machine Shop at the Chalmers St. factory
This Automatic Totalisators image is thought to be at the factory at Chalmers Street near Central Station in Sydney. It is interesting that the machinery here seems heavier than the machines in the workshop in the first two images in the Early Factory Images section of the Photo Gallery. The machine drive, as with the two images previously mentioned is via belts driven by pulleys in the ceiling. The ladders mentioned previously appear here as well, probably related to the need to attend to the drive pulleys on the ceiling. This is one of four photographs that are annotated with N.B, including the two previous images and the following one in the photo gallery. Presumably this does not refer to Nota Benae, possibly someone's initials or an abbreviation of a place. Whoever, wherever or whatever N.B is, it seems to group these four photos together, probably by location and possibly time period.
Click on the image to go back to the Photo Gallery
The photographers stamp on the photograph reads Exchange Studios 49 Pitt St. Sydney WARD & FARREN Proprietors.