This technology history page contains an image, which is one of several belonging to the Photo Gallery pages, which are part of several pages relating to the invention of the world's first automatic totalizator in 1913 and Automatic Totalisators Limited, the Australian company founded in 1917 to develop, manufacture and export these systems.
A Drum Indicator long before electronic display systems
This is a Julius Totalizator Drum Indicator. We have seen counter wheels like these in previous images on this Website, however this Drum Indicator is different in that it is not part of an adder. It receives pulses from adding equipment and then displays the information on the counter wheels. The interest in this was generated by a comment on the back of the photograph shown in the second image of this Brough Park Section of the Photo Gallery. The comment reads: Note "chasers" for transferring the odd units to drum indicators at close of betting. Also, cam operated tens transfer contactor.
In this image, the output of one Chaser will drive the solenoid controlling the unit wheel and one tens transfer contactor will drive the controlling solenoid for the tens wheel. The tens wheel on this display unit will carry to the hundreds wheel and that to the thousands wheel. The first of the Julius Totes where the Adders were separated from the Indicators was installed at Longchamps in Paris in 1928.
Click on the image to go back to the Photo Gallery
There is no photographers stamp on this photograph.