This history page contains a photograph which is one of several belonging to the photo gallery pages which are part of several pages relating to the invention of the world's first automatic totalizator in 1913 and Automatic Totalisators Limited, the company founded in 1917 to develop, manufacture and export these systems.
The Singapore Machine Room
This image of a photograph that was taken at the Singapore Turf Club and shows the combined adder and counter wheel display units in the Julius Tote installed in 1926 with 16 Ticket Issuing Machines. These counter wheels display the tickets sold on each of the runners in a race. The solitary units sitting on top of the banks of them display the grand total of all the units below them. An Automatic Totalisators Limited product promotion document titled The PREMIER (JULIUS) AUTOMATIC TOTALISATOR, written in 1930, has a low resolution copy of a photograph of the outside of this building. The annotation for this image reads: FIG. 41. Exterior of main Totalisator Building Singapore Turf Club. This image makes it clear that the right hand bank of adder/display units represent the Win pool and the left hand bank represents the Place pool. This is evident from the explanatory text on the public display side of this investment indicator. There is an image of this page in the product promotion document, in the photo gallery of this website. To view this, click on the image below and scroll down to the section titled Miscellaneous Images and select the image thumbnail with associated text starting This is a page extracted from a company document titled The PREMIER (JULIUS) AUTOMATIC TOTALISATOR ...
Click on the image to go back to the Photo Gallery
The photographer's stamp on this photograph reads: HALL & CO., Commercial Photographers, 20 Hunter Street, Sydney..